Saturday 21 March 2020

Self Isolation - Week 1


  I've been putting off writing about our self-imposed isolation. One because well nothing is going on as you can imagine. Two I find it hard to not dwell on the ridiculousness of too many people during a time of worldwide crisis. I may have to edit this repeatedly but here goes.

  Doug Ford has shocked the pants off of me. In a good way. Yup, you read that right. I've never been a supporter of his. Quite the opposite. And I still do not agree with the direction he has been taking this province. Yet I find myself nodding my head as he speaks about what they are doing and how they are going about it. I appreciate that he is letting the "experts" speak. It shows confidence I didn't realize he had. I had referred to him as a "good ole boy" in the past and as of this moment that has turned out to be a good thing. We all know that those type of people take care of the most vulnerable first and fight to the death in that effort. I may never compliment him again but for now, he's doing a good job. I might even go so far as to say great. Maybe.

  In only a few short days I've realized how much money we spend...on nothing. Foolish things. Not even just unnecessary items but the stuff we talk ourselves into believing we need. Did you find that too? I've ordered groceries online. Even that bill is lower than normal. Simply because the extras are not in the cart. Those things that sit in the pantry cupboard or at the bottom of the freezer for months, or even years, on end. It's amazing how much money we have when they stay on the shelf.

  Another thing I have become aware of is the number of times per day I touch my face and hair. Don't even get me started on my glasses. I'm not sure I can count that high. Even now that I hear "don't touch your face" a thousand times on the tv, I'm still doing it. I'm almost willing to believe that the more they tell me the more I do it. While typing these last two sentences I've scratched my ear, adjusted my glasses and rubbed my nose. Omg I touched the glasses again!

  With 24/7 coronavirus news, there is one thing I am 100% sure of....I'm forever grateful I was born in Canada and not the United States. Imagine, actually I can't, trying to face this pandemic without health insurance! Imagine the fear. I can't even. It's insanity down there most of the time when it comes to paying for a doctor visit but to be in the middle of this pandemic and have to worry about getting treatment? It's unfathomable.

  And then there is Trump. If anyone ever had any doubt of his arrogance and incompetence now you have your proof. In the middle of a world-wide pandemic he lies. Daily. About very important things. Lies that will kill people. The amount of damage he has done is immeasurable. 

  Finally, the hardest thing to do is stay away from people. Social distancing isn't normally hard for me. In fact I probably enjoy it a little too much. But now that I have to do it...I find I want to be more social. In theory. I'm sure it's just a phase. Just like my kids wanting to go back to school is.

  Look we all dislike what is going on in the world. It's uncharted territory. But we need to behave like we are all infected right now and don't want to give it to anyone else. I read something the other day that puts it all in perspective. Anne Frank and her family spent 20 months hiding in an attic. Never going outside. Not making a sound. We've spent what...six days? And we have internet!

  We need to get over ourselves. And wash our hands. Damn I touched my mouth again!!

  Ang

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...