Sunday 16 December 2018

Christmas Memories


  When you think back on previous Christmas's what comes to mind? That year you got a puppy or when the power went out halfway through cooking the turkey? Maybe it was the one where Grandpa was in the hospital and you all went there for the afternoon and brought him his turkey dinner. Or where Aunt Mary drank too much wine and broke out the mistletoe. As I sit here looking at my semi-decorated tree I thought I'd share a few of mine. Feel free to do the same.

  My cousin Charlie always came after dinner for apple pie and ice cream. Every year he was old enough to drive. He would stay just long enough for a quick slice and a chat then head home again. He was the only Christmas day visitor as most of the visiting happened on Boxing Day. How he always arrived just as we were clearing off the table for dessert is a mystery.

  Mom's parents used to come "see the gifts" which I swear may just be an east coast tradition but one that was a personal favorite. It was the only time they would visit where playing cards wasn't the first thing. Each gift would come out and be passed around and told who it was from. Aunt Charlotte would come later in the day and while Dad and Uncle Roy talked about the weather and fishing, the same gift passing would take place. Sometimes Aunt Ann would stop in and our lifelong neighbor Angie would walk over later when she saw all the cars had left.

  Sometime between the 27th and New Year's day Mom and Dad would do their visits. We would go to Aunt Jeans and have her shortbread with rum icing cookies. Then my Grandparents house where Lori always played us the new album she got for Christmas. I know we went to other homes as well but the details are blurry. All the kids' favorite visit was to Uncle Roy and Aunt Charlotte's house because they lived beside Bernard's hill and we could go sledding for a few hours.

  Christmas morning we always had bacon and eggs. Bacon was a real treat as were oranges and a bag of nuts in the shell. Those were only during the holidays. We weren't allowed to open any gifts till after breakfast and the table was cleared off! Looking back that was quite a challenge for us. It is not a tradition I have carried on I should add. Once we finished opening we could play all day with whatever Santa brought us. You know I remember those details vividly but not one single gift. Interesting.

  Mom always put tinsel on the tree. One strand at a time. Yes, you read that right. And we were constantly being reminded not to run past the tree so that the tinsel didn't move. God forbid if it did then she would have to fix it and maybe even rehang it. The cats loved the tinsel too and we had to keep them from eating and playing with it. 

   Christmas time, in my memory at least, was always fun. I guess we choose to remember the good and forget the bad. I'm sure there were squabbles and full out fights. Just like there are at my house now. But I hope my kids will only look back on the fun we have had and our traditions with smiles and laughter. Just like their parents' will! 

  Thanks Mom and Dad for the great memories! The best gift of all.

    Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...