Sunday 14 April 2019

Next!


  Doing home renos comes with a mixed bag of emotions. There is the excitement of something being pretty, clean and new. Followed by the fear of how much money is going out. Then the disappointment that it takes much longer than you thought to complete! Just as soon as we finished our beautiful, amazing, perfect family room...can you tell I love it?...we are starting in the powder room!

  Unlike the laundry, kitchen or family room not much is changing in the bathroom. Cleaned up. Prettied up. New fixtures but in the same spots. There is only one little extra thing I want to change and it's a sticking point for John and me.  I want some new floor tiles that will be the big wow factor for the room. He doesn't want the hassle of removing the old ones.

  Realistically there are twenty-one tiles in the bath. Hardly any right? That's what you would assume but...they continue into the hallway and entryway. Some are old. All are ugly. My idea is if we are taking out the bath tiles why stop there? What's another one hundred and seventy-one???? This is the moment where John's eyes roll and he hangs his head as he walks away.

  Somewhere in his brilliant mind, he knows I'm right. The amount of work to remove them all makes his knees hurt just thinking about it I'm sure. But he also doesn't want to do what we Maritimers call a "half-ass job". Cutting corners makes things look not quite right and we really want to avoid that at all costs. Well maybe just me.

  Right now I'm 100% in the excitement phase of renos. I have plans and spent a crazy amount of time on Pinterest today. I've found a toilet, vanity, and countertop. There are tiles and light fixtures picked out. The faucet is taken care of too. I've even looked at wallpaper to go behind the sink though I'm still undecided on whether that will happen or not. 

  It will take a few hours to remove everything in that small space. Add on a day to patch up a few spots and paint. Another to put the new things in. Realistically it's a weekend job. So I totally understand why John doesn't want to touch the tiles. I get it. But.... 

  Time will tell who wins the war of the flooring. The odds are 50/50 as I type this. I will use all my design knowledge to sway him to my way of thinking. Give it a few days and I'm sure his vision will be the same as mine. 

  I do know one thing though. New tiles or old ones, John will create a beautiful powder room. And it will take much longer than one weekend so I guess I know two!

  Ang





  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...