Saturday 9 November 2019

Being Responsible Sucks


  In my ongoing attempt to be a responsible adult I did not give in to an overwhelming urge to go Christmas vacation hunting when I saw the first snowflakes last weekend. I fought through the craving to rent a condo in Florida for the two-week break when I woke up to snow on the ground. I even managed to control myself when that snow didn't melt and is still clinging to the earth this morning. But I wonder if my will power will hold out on this -13 morning.

  I know if we want to finish the never-ending home renos we cannot go south. Not to an island resort, a cheap condo, or even a tent in the Everglades. I know that. But my dislike of being cold has more control over me than I care to admit. A small part of my brain is already saying we don't really need a sectional or a fridge for the basement. That would get us close to a week in the heat, wouldn't it?

  Now two days later with said snow still there and my house being a whopping 13.5 degrees when I came downstairs, my resolve is almost completely gone. I can hear the waves hitting the shoreline. I can feel the sand between my toes. Can you hear the hiss of the sunscreen as I spray my arms? I can. But I can also hear John whispering in my ear "Snap out of it!" And that is louder than the waves and the can. Even the sand is dissolving into popcorn on the kitchen floor. Right now I'm hating the sound of his voice!

  Oh to be young and carefree again. With no responsibilities and extra money for impromptu getaways. No kids sports to pay for or university costs to think about. No braces or orthotics to drain our bank account. Ahhhh the good old days when we could be self-centered and selfish.

  That's the thing about being responsible...sometimes it sucks. Doing what's best for our family comes first. But a condo on the beach for two weeks comes a very close second!

  Ang

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...