Friday 20 December 2019

A Time of Giving


  Tis the season to be jolly or so the song says. If you've been to the grocery or the mall in the past few days you know that's a sham. There is very little in the way of happiness and joy going on outside of your home. There is, however, a lot of stress, anxiety, and unhappiness. Have we all missed the true way to celebrate during this time of year?

  The majority of us will spend too much money, eat and drink too much and not get enough sleep over the next two weeks. Tired, bloated and broke does not make us very merry people. Yet here we are...just like last year. And sadly probably next year too.

   When I was a kid I don't remember my parents being stressed. Yes we had no money and gifts were small and few but we always watched Charlie Brown's Christmas and the Grinch as a family. We piled in the car and drove around looking at lights. Boxing day we went visiting aunts and uncles and while the adults looked at the gifts, the kids went sledding and drank hot chocolate and ate cookies. The entire week was spent having fun and laughter was in the air. I wonder how many homes are lacking in both.

  Even now I remember how Charlie always came for dessert on Christmas day. He showed up as if on cue when Mom would put the apple pie on the table. He would have coffee or tea, a piece of pie and chat for about a half-hour then go home to Aunt Charlotte's turkey dinner. And my grandfather going to everyone's house to look at the trees and then play cards and eat leftover turkey and meat pies. Even though he didn't travel much with his wooden leg in the winter. Presents? Nope don't remember one. Aunt Jean's shortbread cookies with rum icing? You bet I do.

  Look I'm not saying giving gifts isn't important. Quite the opposite. I believe giving is the most important thing to do during this time of year. But not material things. Give yourself. Visit a widowed neighbor or call a relative you don't normally talk to. Invite friends over for dinner...hotdogs are just as okay as a fancy meal. Use last year's gift card and buy coffee for as many folks in line at Starbucks as you can. Singalong to the carols in the elevator and watch people smile. People remember these small gestures and enjoy them more than you know.

  Finally, I should add that while I say let's spend more time with those we enjoy and be less stressed and anxious, I know some won't be able to do just that. So if someone says no thank you to a party invite or a dinner, don't ask them why. Just say you will miss having them there and if they change their mind they are more than welcome. Or they call and cancel last minute. Don't add to their stress load by almost demanding a reason. No is enough any time of the year but it's especially enough this time of year. 

  I hope you find a way to do everything I suggested. I hope I do too!

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...