Friday 16 April 2021

Hello Cricket!

  Did I mention we got a dog? A sheepadoodle to be exact. Half poodle. Half English sheepdog. He's smart, easily trainable, and friendly to all. Cricket is a welcome addition to our little family. Alex has been asking for a dog since he first learned to talk. With him going to university in the city he will be around even when we are traveling so finally a dog made sense! 

  I had applied for so many shelter dogs I lost count. We never heard from any of them. It was frustrating and very disheartening. We had everything they were looking for... a fenced-in yard, someone home most of the time, and lots of love and patience. Yet every day passed and not a sound. At first, I thought maybe there are lots of folks looking for dogs. Then I saw another posting for one we had applied for saying still available. I now think it's because we were first-time dog owners. Which if true, is totally unfair.

  One day I was venting my frustrations on a rehoming site and a lady private messaged me. She explained that they were considering finding a new home for their puppy. As a nurse working full time during a pandemic, she was pretty stressed. Add to that she also has MS which is made worse by stress. As if that wasn't enough, both of her parents are long haulers of COVID and she is caring for them. But wait there's more. Her husband, a police officer, was just diagnosed with cancer! Can you imagine???!!!

  We messaged back and forth a few times over the next few weeks. It was a tough decision and they wanted to make sure they did the right thing for all involved. She sent me pictures, information, and told me stories. It was obvious they loved Cricket and were struggling with what was best for him and their family. Two weeks ago today I was contacted with the news that if we were still interested she would bring him over that same day. 

  Next came a moment I will remember my entire life. Let me set the scene...it's a little after 9am and both boys are sound asleep. They know nothing that has gone on with this family for the past few weeks. I wake them and ask them to come sit down with me. I tell them the health issues this family is dealing with. Then I say the words both kids had been waiting years to hear...they are giving us their dog! The smile on Alex's face was priceless. He glowed. Riley couldn't contain himself and was asking question after question. When I showed them his picture they erupted with happiness. I can't even explain it. It was palpable in the room.

  Two weeks have passed and the joy hasn't subsided at all. Alex is a little disappointed Cricket doesn't want to sleep with him...he prefers our room to any other. He has already eaten a sock. Let's hope that's only a one time thing. And we spend an awful lot of time standing on the front lawn while he makes up his mind whether he should go into the backyard or not. As soon as this shut down is over we are all going for training! 

  I do want to make one thing clear. We are not, I repeat not, fur parents. Cricket will be treated as a loved member of this family but he had four legged parents. And this momma only has 2.

  Welcome to the family Cricket!

  Ang 

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...