Friday 26 October 2018

Ian Rankin


  Yesterday John and I, and some other folks had lunch with famous Scottish author Ian Rankin. I have been looking forward to this since I bought the tickets three months ago. He is my favorite author by far and most of his books I have read at least three times. So to say I was excited to hear him speak about his new book, In A House of Lies, is an understatement.

  While he did give a few insights into this latest chapter in the lives of John Rebus, Siobhan Clarke and Malcolm Fox he also gave some background on the people and places I've read about for years. Giving me a whole new insight into some of the characters who find their way into each book. Making me want to go back and read them all over again. Smart move Mr. Rankin!

  Take one of my favorite relationships in the Rebus series, the police officer and the criminal. Big Ger as he is referred to, has lived a life of crime but could have been a successful businessman had circumstances been just a little more in his favor. And Rebus just the opposite. He walked a fine line between cop and criminal too many times to count and could just have easily been the breaker of laws instead of the enforcer. They are polar opposites yet so similar. They hate each other, in some ways respect each other and in an almost unbelievable way, they are friends. Hearing the author reiterate what I always knew, or thought I knew, made the characters more "human" to me.

  When Ian, I'm on a first name basis in my mind at least, spoke about his writing and characters I was intrigued. Someone who has written for a living for over thirty years still has those moments of blankness that I have. Sits down with no clue where things are going or how they will end. Something that anyone who tries to write anything can understand. 

  One line I found most fascinating "The book writes itself." made so much sense to me. These characters have been around for decades. They have grown emotionally, gotten older, had relationships and setbacks. Their history propels them in certain directions that as readers we expect and enjoy. As an author Ian Rankin lets them go where they are meant to. It all sounds so....easy. Yet it's not. 

  I cannot tell you how happy a simple lunch made me. Or how listening to someone talk made me want to start reading again, something I have done very little of since finding Netflix a few years ago. Thank you, Ian Rankin, for coming and renewing my love of reading. Thank you for signing my book....ok books I did  take my favorite one with me just in case! Finally a huge thank you for another installment of John and Gerald. I hope you never run out of ideas for these two.

  And thanks for the selfie! 

  Ang

  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...