Sunday 16 October 2022

Lesson Learned...Not!

  I did it again. I said to myself this year will be different. We are older. Wiser. Have more self-control. We learned our lesson. It will not happen again. Not to us. I didn't ask for a second opinion I just did it. No one can stop my blind faith in my family. No one. We are better than this. That's right I bought Halloween candy early!

  Casually strolling through the aisles of the pharmacy last week I saw the candy display. Treat size chocolate bars, licorice, peanut butter cups all on sale. Everything is expensive so it makes sense to buy early if it's saving you money. You don't need an economics degree to figure that one out. Basic common sense.

  Like any fiscally responsible adult I put enough for our expected trick or treaters in the cart. After checking out, I peek at my receipt to revel in my savings...$11 how fabulous is that??? That's dinner for four. Spaghetti, meatballs and sauce. If we buy the cheapest pasta we might even have enough for garlic bread. How smart am I?

  On the way home from my money-saving shopping spree I drop off a few things for my mother-in-law who is in the hospital. As I pick up her bag I realize she would love some of these little treats. She's got a sweet tooth. What a boost to someone who is in covid lockdown in the hospital. We open the box and grab several handfuls to put in the care package. I'm so glad we bought them.

  As soon as we get home, minus a few to try ourselves, they get put aside for a few weeks. The box of cheesies is too large so it sits in the entryway til I can find a suitable resting place. Besides they are taped shut. No one is going to open them. We are not those people. 

  That was one week ago. The Halloween candy is no longer on sale. It seems the store is smarter than the rest of us. They know we all buy pre-Halloween treats at the sale price. More importantly they know we all eat that cheap candy ourselves and will be back to buy the over-priced treats on Oct 30 and 31! Marketing geniuses! 

  The 45 bags of cheesies are in the mid-teens. In our defence they are very small and the dog loves them. Happily there are some bars and candy left. I'm a little scared to see just how many. I'll just combine the two and call it enough. We will never learn will me?

  Maybe we will get lucky and it will rain that night. 

  Ang

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...