Monday 30 July 2018

Money Money Money


  One of the greatest things about having my own blog is the ability to talk about whatever has happened in my life or in the world around me. But I've noticed lately, and John pointed it out to me yesterday, that that isn't always the case. I find more and more I am deleting posts before publishing because friends or family might take issue with them. 

  Recently I had two conversations about money and credit card debt. Both were disturbing to me and when I wrote about the issue of "bad debt" and how we judge people on it John commented on how it might be viewed as controversial. To who? The people I had the conversation with? The words were spoken and if they meant what they said and weren't offended by my responses then why would they be now? So here goes....

  Most folks I know carry a balance on at least one credit card or line of credit. Life throws us curve balls unexpectedly and we deal with the financial ones the best we can. Sometimes that is thanks to Visa. Does that make them bad people? Or irresponsible? No, it makes them human. But judging them harshly because of it is bad and irresponsible.

  If you are lucky to have a high paying job or a paid for house count your blessings. Chances are you have disposable income for that emergency bank account. You can save for a new roof or car and afford sports and piano lessons for your kids. Much needed vacations can be paid in cash and eating out a regular thing without guilt.

  But I know more of the have-nots than the haves. Those whose incomes are average and who make their mortgage payments on a bi-weekly basis. They try to save for things like the other half does but financial emergencies come up all the time. When it's a major car repair or water in the basement out comes the Mastercard to save the day. Not to mention the Christmas gifts and Subway runs. Such is life for many, many Canadians.

  Debt is bad. We all know that. In fact, people who are in debt know that better than those who aren't. But we still help out family members in need. Give to charities and help out the food bank. We put our kids in hockey and hire tutors to help them. We order pizza and Chinese when we are too lazy to cook. Braces and glasses cannot wait til our cash flow increases.

  How much money we owe means nothing really. Just as it doesn't matter how much we have in the bank. Don't judge me, or anyone, because our financial habits aren't the same. As long as I'm not asking to borrow money from you just mind your business. 

  Besides like Mr. Hart and Mr. Kauffman said you can't take it with you!

  Ang

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...