Saturday 24 November 2018

2 Things


  I know I know it's been a while. My only excuse is the two weeks of coughing. But now that I'm sure I'll survive I'm going to tell you two things I've learned about myself during this time. And no it's not that I'm a horrible patient although that is 100% true.

  One thing I always suspected, but now I'm positive about, is that I'm not a good hockey parent. Hard to believe right? Not one of these parents has the next Crosby or McDavid. None. There probably isn't even a university scholarship possibility. Yet these parents are relentless in their screaming, yelling and nastiness. They scream at other parents, the referees and the coaches. Then they scream at their own kid while he/she is on the ice! 

  I want to tell them to relax and calm down but we all know how that ends....badly. Actually what I really want to say is shut the hell up. They look possessed.  As if the world depends on the next 30 minutes. They are living vicariously through their kids and it's sad to watch. And even harder to listen to. No, it isn't every parent but it's enough to ruin the entire experience for me. Yet I go because Riley wants to know there is someone in the stands cheering just for him. That's my job.

 The second thing I've noticed is much more positive. I think we've got this parenting thing figured out. Alex has become quite the responsible young man who proves every day we didn't mess up as badly as some days we thought we had. And while he still can't seem to figure out how to put clean clothes in the dresser or find the garbage can, those things that really matter he's got in droves. He's kind and honest. He knows the difference between doing the right thing and making poor choices. Most of all he has a moral compass that he is following more and more without our constant input. That is growing up.

  Don't get me wrong he's not perfect. He still fights constantly with his brother and too often with us. Tests with so-so marks don't make it home but he's becoming the person we always knew he would be. That makes me very proud. I can't take all the credit. John gets a portion too. Not as big a part but some. In fact, Alex is going to be more like his Dad than even I hoped. 

  I guess I'm succeeding at this parenting thing where it counts and pretending to where it doesn't. Sounds about right for most of us, doesn't it?

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...