Wednesday 8 April 2020

Social Distancing Lessons


  I'm always complaining to myself that I don't have enough time to write. Now I have nothing but time and I'm still not. What's up with that? Tonight I thought I would share a few things I've learned in the 14 days of self-isolation and the 9 days that have followed it.

  My kids cannot, under any circumstance, use the same glass twice. Not even for water. Here's what happens...take clean glass from cupboard, fill glass with water, drink one-fourth of it, put glass on just cleaned off counter, leave room, return three minutes later, take clean glass from cupboard, fill glass...are you seeing the pattern? Now imagine this is repeated 8-10 times per day. Times two! It's no wonder the dishwasher runs almost nonstop.

  Another startling discovery we've made is that our kids only want to talk to us when we are trying to watch something important. Want to know what time the daily PM update is on? We don't need a watch we'll know cause that's when we hear the pitter-patter of big feet coming down the stairs ready to engage in conversation. It never fails and we mute or pause the tv to actually engage in the conversation. We feel blessed that our kids want to speak with us so we pretend we don't need to know the latest updates. But at 11:15 every single day?  Seems a little fishy to me.

  We basically wear three outfits. I've seen several combinations of clothes for three weeks now. But it's always one of three tops with jeans or sweats. So why do we have full closets? If we aren't going to wear them why have them? Maybe minimalism is best. Worth a shot anyway. I wonder if anyone would notice.

  Probably the biggest life lesson we've learned, and the most important by far, is that we can handle anything. We drive each other nuts. Some days we laugh a lot and other days we switch to yelling. But we show up every single day ready to protect each other and make sure we are all okay. Even when we don't know what okay really is. We are small in number but we are strong, resilient and capable of accomplishing anything we put our minds to.

  That's a few of our lessons. I hope you have learned some while spending way too much time with your loved ones. Feel free to share. 

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...