Wednesday 12 July 2017

School Break Reality


  I hear parents talk about how excited they are at the end of the school year. They talk of blissful days at the beach. Day trips to museums and spending quality time with their cherished children. No what I never hear? The truth.

  The sad truth is siblings don't like each other. Sure maybe for short bursts of time or when out in public. But within the confines of your four walls...it's all out war. Yelling. Screaming. Fighting. Whining. Crying. And that's from the parents!

  Don't tell me yours always get along. You are either a liar or in denial. Doesn't matter I don't want to hear it. Oh and don't give me the line "if that was my children..." especially if you have none of your own. 

  All kids are the same. They fight with their siblings. Every single one of them. It's one of the biggest challenges of parenting. I've told them repeatedly that one day they might actually end up as friends. That gave them three minutes of uncontrollable laughter where they were holding each other up. A small success I agree but when you are a parent you take whatever wins you can muster.

  Summer break, if we are to be brutally honest, is awful and way too long....teachers please forgive me for that statement. It's filled with slamming doors, timeouts and frustrated parents who turn to the wine bottle more often than during the school year. 

  We are only in week two and already I've had enough. My throat is scratchy from fourteen days of vocal exercise. My blood pressure is five points above normal and my liquor cabinet is in need of a refill. 

  If you feel the need to tell me how this just isn't true in your world, save your breath. If this sounds like your daily routine, call me. I've got wine in the fridge.

  Or tequila...I don't judge!

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...