Tuesday 12 June 2018

Hang On Ontario


  Oh boy Ontario hold on tight it's going to be a bumpy ride! Last night we found out we will have a new premier, Doug Ford. Our own little Trumpish leader. It scares the crap out of me. Really it does.

  Now I'm not anti-conservative as some people have suggested. If any of the other leadership candidates had defeated him a few months ago I wouldn't be writing the same blog. The others seemed...normal, dignified and in control. This guy reminds me of a Chris Farley skit from the 1990's. I could easily see Mr. Ford "living in a van down by the river". A little shout out to lifelong SNL fans.

  Like Trump, he has said some things that make you go WTH? There are rumors of drug use and sales. His comments on healthcare, education, and libraries give me reason to pause. All of which, I will add, are not in line with the Conservative platform I've read about. His sister-in-law is suing him and claims he is running the family business into the ground. The list is long.

  So once again, like I Trump, I ask....who voted for this guy?? Not who voted conservative but him specifically. Did people overlook the rantings in search of lower gas prices? Was it the promise of fixing hydro-rates, without a solid plan how to do it, that made folks forget his bigoted remarks about immigrants?  I really do want to know.

  Several years ago I had a discussion with a diehard conservative who continually told me that PM Harper wasn't able to do anything because he was leading a minority government. Just days later during the federal election, he was given a majority by voters. I said to the same person that now there was no excuse. A year later when things still weren't done my friend told me he was still being held up by others. It wasn't true then and it won't be true now. Premier Ford can pass any legislation, make any changes he sees fit...and while he can take the credit for all that goes well he must also take the criticism for what goes wrong.

  No matter where you mark your "X" I hope you vote at every possible opportunity. It is a privilege that many in the world still do not have. One person can change the world. One vote can change a country.

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...