Saturday 4 March 2017

Finished


  Bryan Baumler, Scott McGilvary and all of those "DIY" experts lie. Through the power of editing, they give a false impression of what home renovations are really like. As much as I hate to admit it I am an expert on living through home renos.  And trust me it looks absolutely nothing like it does on tv.

  To start with it's dirty. No matter what the reno there is dirt involved. Be it drywall dust, mud, boards or paint. And don't kid yourself, it isn't contained to just the "work area". Nope, it is everywhere. In every nook and cranny. Move something six months later and you will find said dust underneath and/or behind it. I know I know the work sites are always so clean on the improvement shows. You know there is some guy who's only job is to clean up behind the actual workers.

  Nothing ever goes as planned. Ever. There is always a glitch. A pipe is in the wrong place. A countertop doesn't arrive. Contractors don't show. It's a daily challenge to make progress. Any progress. And all of this comes with a huge price tag. Oh and don't get me started on the make believe time lines.

  Now imagine you and your spouse are the contractors. We are the plumbers, electricians and carpenters. All cleanup, prep work and finishing touches are done by us. After the day's work is done we still have to clean up the mess we made so we can start again the next morning. That is IF we actually start back in the morning. Chances are it's a late morning start or maybe even an early afternoon. The beauty, or curse, of being the boss I suppose.

  I know I'm complaining. But this has been our life for the past 20 years or so. I just want a finished house. Not fancy. Just finished. After the past two days of hauling mud, jackhammering concrete, spreading gravel and pumping water I feel I've earned the right to complain just a little.

  We are almost done one project. Not a pretty one but a necessary one. Soon we can start making everything beautiful. At this moment I'll take a space we can use no matter what it looks like. In my mind, I see walls, floors and a bathroom with a shower. There are lights, sliding barn doors and furniture. A fireplace and home theater round it off.

  But the one thing I can't wait for.....the sound of laughter from our family enjoying being together in our pretty finished basement!

  Ang

  

  

  
  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...