Sunday 5 March 2017

Lefties Unite


  I'm a leftie living in a right handed world. If you aren't left handed you don't see it. But it's everywhere. Door handles, scissors, knives, even some paper are backwards. No one ever thinks about it. At least none of you righties.

  When John was designing our kitchen he would look at me strangely over some of my suggestions. Like which way the fridge should open or what side of the room the drawers should be. I was thinking what would make my life easiest since I am the chief cook and bottle washer. To him, they didn't make sense. 

  I did win though in the laundry room. I laughingly say, although it's very much the truth, a CSI team could go in there and only find my fingerprints. Both the washer and dryer open "the wrong way". I wish the faucet handle was on the left but you can't have everything. 

  Learning to drive a standard was a challenge. I always wanted a car with the steering wheel on the right. Imagine how easy it would be to change gears if I was using my dominant hand. When we go to Europe I'm going to do all the driving. I take that back...I'll let John see just how hard it is to do things wrong handed. 

  For all lefties, and yes at this moment I'm speaking for all of them, scissors are the worst. Not only is the sharp side wrong but so are the finger holes of some. I end up putting my thumb in the tiny hole and it gets stuck. Or I end up using them the "right" way and whatever I'm cutting looks like a toddler cut it.

  At the movies, I put my drink down in the left holder. Whoever sits beside me is not impressed. Including my own family. But I feel most comfortable lifting the glass with my left hand. Find another seat.

  This is all small stuff I know. Very small. And 99.9% of the time it doesn't bother me. Today I'm in that that 0.1 %.

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...