Wednesday 24 January 2018

Morning Rush Hour


  The morning insanity is over. And it's only 8:16! The craziness that happens in my home every weekday morning is unbelievable. Yet each and every day we go through a modified version of it. Where is the serenity of early mornings breakfasts and fresh coffee that you see on television and movies? I'll tell you where...it doesn't exist.

  Take this morning for example. Everyone was awake early. Lots of time to make lunches, get bags ready and make the school bus. Until...Alex decided to watch a video in his room which meant instead of having lots of time to eat he had all of five minutes. In that small window of opportunity he also had to brush his teeth, get his backpack ready, find his shoes and get to the bus stop. That didn't end well.

  Without giving you too many details, respecting a teenagers privacy and all that, I ended up driving Alex to school in my Minnie Mouse pajamas and almost running out of gas. With no wallet that would not have been fun. When I do finally pull into my driveway the other child comes running outside. You would think the house was on fire but no it was something much more important...he couldn't find his Harry Potter wand!

  For the  fifteen minutes I was gone, he ate breakfast then listened to Michael Jackson songs on Google Home. My arrival forces him to get ready and one look at the clock tells him he is already late. Now the wand becomes important for the play he is doing in class. It wasn't important last night or while I was gone but now...it's the Holy Grail. 

  Another round of running and searching. Homework, gloves and lunch bag. More searching, quick packing and a sandwich made in world record time. A granola bar tucked in the bag and another child is off with the just located wand hanging out the back.  Almost running down the icy street as the bus is rounding the corner, he makes it with seconds to spare. 

  Back inside my suddenly quiet house, I watch the bus go past. Shaking my head at the mornings absurdity, I reach for my hour old coffee. It's cold, naturally, and as I press start on the microwave I remember it's broken. Cold coffee is not going to cut it. I sure hope that wasn't the last of the coffee!

  While I wait for my new fresh, and hot, coffee I realize this morning was almost a copy cat of yesterday. And several last week. Not to mention last month or last year. Maybe this chaos is going to be my Monday thru Friday for the next, gulp, seven years. If that's the case I better embrace the insanity.

  Or send back the kids!

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...