Wednesday 12 September 2018

Ramblings


   A week ago after enjoying the peace and quiet that comes with back-to-school, I sat down to give this little blog of mine my full attention. Filled with ideas, opinions and curiosity I was raring to go. With a full cup of coffee and a comfortable chair I open the laptop and it's.....dead. As the proverbial door-nail.

   One quick trip to a "nerd", not meant as any kind of insult I assure you, and the words I was dreading. The battery is dead and it's hard wired to the motherboard so it won't work plugged in either. Then the final nail in the coffin...it will cost upwards of $500 and three weeks to fix! Ugh. All of my enthusiasm gone.

  So now I have confiscated Riley's chromebook today to try and catch up. Lots has happened over the past week that I have been dying to talk about. Here we go.....

  Serena Williams, I'm not sure if she is a tyrant or a victim or a women's equality fighter, but I do know she has stolen away the spotlight from the actual U.S. Women's Open Naomi Osaka. By all accounts she was winning the match and at the time of the incident Ms. Williams was in no way making a come back. But she will be forever remembered as part of the incident and not for the huge accomplishment she made.

  Doug Ford is invoking a Not Withstanding clause in the constitution to bypass a court ruling he doesn't like. It seems petty on his part as it has to do with the size of city council in Toronto where his brother was the Mayor before his death. No matter what the reason I'm leery of anyone having the power to overrule something when it's gone through all the proper channels. It smells a little of a dictatorship.

  Donald Trump did thumbs up and fist pumping at a September 11 memorial ceremony. Why this surprises folks is beyond me. He has no idea how to behave in most situations. Then proceeded to explain how the storm relief in Puerto Rico was a huge success...remember almost 3000 people died as the result of Hurricane Maria! That is a success?? Not by my standards thank you very much. Every single day he says or does something that is offensive, rude and wrong. Why am I still shocked on a daily basis I wonder?

  It's been seventeen years since the attack in NYC and boy has the world changed a lot since then. This year the services were not as elaborate. As time goes by I suppose they will become less and less common. Life moves on and while we still remember what happened it dulls in our memory. That's the way of the world I suppose.

  It's time for me to move on with my day. I'm sure many more things will catch my attention. Hopefully one of them will be a new computer!

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...