Sunday 17 May 2020

Buy Local...If You Can


  People have been talking almost nonstop about how the world is dependent on China and the goods they produce. Immediately followed with a "buy Canadian" or "buy local" rant. I've listened and while I agree, to a certain extent, I have a different slogan. Buy local...if you can.

  I love buying local produce from the small roadside market not far from my house. From mid-May till late November I buy almost all of my vegetables and as much fruit as I can from the locals. We head to farmers' markets on the weekend and buy cheese and the occasional cookie or pastry. The food tastes wonderful! But it comes at a steep cost.

  While I love the freshness and pesticide-free guarantee that comes with these foods I'm one of the lucky ones who can afford to pay the higher prices for it. The reality is that local means more expensive. A dozen eggs at the grocery costs $2.47 but the same sold locally is $5. Personally, I don't taste a difference and that is a big price difference to swallow. Multiply that by say forty items a week and that becomes a lot of money.

  Now before you say it yes farmers, beekeepers, bakers, etc need to earn a living. And yes they have a short period of time to make that. But perhaps a family of five cannot afford to buy ten locally made sausage at a cost of roughly $20 when Costco sells twenty-eight for $15. A fixed food budget doesn't allow for too many meals at that price. That's basic accounting. And that's just one item. 

  I had a conversation once with an artist who was insulted when someone tried to barter a lower price. It didn't end well and no sale was made. But it is hard sometimes to justify paying more for something just because it is locally made. Yes, we all agree local is better however we shouldn't belittle those who choose to go a different way. And when it comes to feeding our family we really shouldn't.

  This same conversation is taking place with organic food as well. Again if you want to and you can afford to...fill your boots. But not everyone can afford the extra cost. It doesn't mean they love their kids less, which I was told by a so-called friend of mine. It means we all have a certain amount of money and we all need to make personal decisions on the best way to spend it.

  Buy Canadian. Buy locally. Support your community. Do what your finances will allow. And don't make others feel less than because they make other choices. 

  Ang

  

1 comment:

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...