Tuesday 26 May 2020

What's A Little Dust Between Friends?


  When I think back to the plans I had during this time of self-isolation I cannot help but chuckle. I'm not sure where the organized cabinets are but they certainly are not here. Those closets that would only hold clothes I wore and loved? They have not materialized either. Freshly painted walls? Not here. So what happened to all those plans? Like most of us I set myself up to fail and that was the one thing I was successful at.

  I guess we didn't know how hard it would actually be. Not the cleaning and organizing but the focusing. When you have all the time in the world there is no incentive to get things done. So we did nothing. Or at least nothing extra. Except for Netflix...there were lots of extra binges. How could we focus on emptying drawers when the world was spiraling around us?

  Then it hit us. Just like that scene from How The Grinch Stole Christmas when the Grinch realized what Christmas was all about. Our clean, organized homes meant nothing when we couldn't hug our families or hang out with our friends. It is the people in our lives that we need to focus on. Their well-being. Their health, safety, and state of mind. That is what is truly important. We finally understood it and down Mt. Crumpet we went!

  Bottom line. There is dust in my house. On some furniture and a ceiling fan or two. The laundry isn't "caught up" and no closet has gotten the once over. But I'm proud of my home. It's where we've face-timed the grandparents and sang happy birthday to my Mom. The kids have sat in the recliners and talked to relatives and friends for hours on end. Sharing stories and laughs as best they can. Isn't that more important than a spotless house?

  We all handle this differently. My family tries to laugh as much as possible. Some days we are more successful than others. But when this is all over and we reemerge into the sunshine of life, not one of my friends or family will notice my dust or care if they do. And we certainly won't!

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...