Tuesday 5 May 2020

7 Weeks & Counting


  Like most of you, I have no interest in anything right now. I'm tired of watching Netflix and Prime. Tired of running the dishwasher three times a day and still waking up to dishes in the sink. The idea of going for yet another walk makes me tired and I have little or no interest in an evening drive to nowhere. I've cooked everything I know how to and more. I'm tired. Just plain tired. Aren't you?

  But like the vast majority of you, I will continue spending most of my day in these four walls and staying away from my friends and family. I'll don my mask to go into the grocery and will once again place an on-line order for renovation supplies. And sadly I will explain for the five hundredth time to my kids that I do not know if they will see their friends again this summer or whether we can travel to visit the grandparents. That conversation is the hardest.

  The highlight of my day will be watching the bluejays and cardinals come to the feeder and the bane in watching the squirrel devour their food. Our breakfast conversation will be about what we should eat for supper. I'll ask the kids what school work they have and ask them yet again to clean their rooms. 

  Days and weeks are now exactly the same. The news is depressing and should be avoided when children are around. Even adults should protect their mental health and steer clear as much as possible. But like the gluttons for punishment that we are, we watch it more than we should and kick ourselves for doing it. Tomorrow we will begin the cycle again.

  Life isn't all doom and gloom though. We still smile. Even laugh. But we are bored. And tired of the boredom. Of the monotony of this social distancing. Yet I am so thankful that my kids, family, and friends are all healthy, that I can get up every morning and see the light at the end of this very long tunnel. It's shining. Put your glasses on and you'll see it. Every day it is a little speck brighter.

  And if nothing else comes from this, most of us will learn there is such a thing as too much togetherness!

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...