Wednesday 26 April 2017

18 Month Parental Leave


  Feminism is a dirty word in some circles. Even the definition of what a feminist is depends on who you ask. For me it's about everyone having the same rights....female or male and having choices. Having children really shouldn't give us advantages over others. Especially those men and women without children.

  The Federal government is talking about extending parental leave from 12 months to a grand total of 18 months....three of which is maternity and only applies to the mother. So any father can take the remaining 9 months or split it with the mom in any combination. Or take none at all. Choices. 

  One entire year, or even nine months, away from your job is tough. For the employer, your co-workers and the person who takes over your position. Extending it to eighteen months, while good in theory, doesn't seem fair to me. Of course the infant benefits and you can't put a price on that or the time you get to spend with your child. But everyone else pays a price.

  Your employer has to hire someone to take your place no matter what job you have. The new person must be trained which comes at a cost. Or they distribute your work among the other employees. That could mean over-time and work suffering, not to mention disgruntled and unhappy workers. Then you come back and your job, and seniority, is waiting for you. Some people may not like that either.

  The simple fact is most men don't, and won't, take parental leave. Women benefit from it much more often. Extending it would give us an even bigger advantage. While we champion our country for supporting us, would we be so proud if it was an advantage to men? I don't think so.

  And what about those women who don't have kids? I've written about that before to some heated responses. I'll leave that alone.

   I chose to stay home with my kids. My husband chose to take parental leave...twice. We are lucky to be a family that can make those choices. Not everyone is so lucky. But if I was an employer I would not be happy about a year let alone eighteen months. Especially when it could happen again and again and again. With every single employee I have.

  Feminism means equality. And sometimes equality doesn't seem fair.

  Ang
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...