Tuesday 21 November 2017

No I in Team


  Teachers have my unwavering support 24/7/365. I am their biggest supporter and defend them at every turn. They have one of the hardest and most important jobs on the planet. Their dedication is unwavering and their accomplishments are in someone else's achievements. So when I complain about them I have a real complaint.

  Alex's report card came home last week. It was not anything close to what we expected. To say we were shocked would not convey our disbelief. Not because we think our oldest is an A student, we are well aware of his short comings and strengths. But my policy has always been to not worry til a teacher tells me to worry. And no one gave us any indication we should be worried. Well we are worried now.

   Alex is not failing. But he is below what the Ministry wants every student to achieve in two subjects. Shouldn't I have heard from a teacher? Long before this? I have been told there is no set policy as to when a teacher contacts parents over their students. Maybe there should be. 

  I spoke with the vice principal about this. That's how I know he is below where they want him to be and that there is no policy on contact. She did say something interesting. Teachers sometimes make a "professional judgement call". They decide if there is real reason for concern or that the student is just getting their feet under them slower than expected. Hmmmm I think that over half way through the semester is too long to be getting your footing. 

  Today one of the two teachers called me. She was unapologetic about not contacting us. She believes he will improve if he spends more time and energy on his work. That however was not in his report. He can go for extra help during lunch three days a week. That was not on his report either. While I believe she wants him to succeed, she was obviously never going to contact us. That shocks me a little.

  I have learned a valuable lesson. We aren't in middle school anymore. I need to change my expectations of Alex's teachers. And I need to be making appointments to see every teacher whenever the opportunity arises. I need to hold them just as accountable as I do Alex.

  Let me wrap it up by saying this....Alex's marks are NOT the teachers fault. They are his and his alone. He is the one doing the listening, homework and studying. Or lack there-of. We, Alex, his teachers and us, all have to be part of the same team. 

  At this moment it looks like the team let itself down!

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...