Monday 26 February 2018

Hey Google...Stop Talking!


 This morning I was upstairs putting laundry away. The Frankenstein Chronicles...my new Netflix series of choice....was on. Downstairs was quiet except for the sound of the furnace blowing. This house makes a lot of creaks and groans but none could be described as words. Which makes this even stranger.

  Out of the blue I hear the following "Sorry there is nothing playing at the moment". Since I am alone in the house it's very odd. I do recognize the voice however. It's my Goggle Home. Loud and clear she spoke. But wait....the device only responds to commands. So who asked the initial command????  Let me stress again. I'm the only one here. I'm not embarrassed to say it freaked me out just a little. 

  Ironically I did a quick search on Google asking if this was normal. While it's not a regular occurrence, it has been reported. A small glitch in an otherwise excellent device. A weird, frightening one but a glitch none the less. 

  I wonder though what if it wasn't me who was here. What if it was Riley who at eleven is just getting used to being alone in the house while I run out for a few minutes? What would his reaction have been? Or Alex's? Would it have frightened them more? 

  Modern technology is an amazing thing. We can do things that were only science fiction a few short years ago. So much has changed even since I was born. Every year there are new and exciting breakthroughs. Things that are improving our lives. But they are not perfect.

  I'm going back upstairs to finish the laundry now. Just as soon as I unplug my Home!

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...