Tuesday 15 May 2018

Stay Positive Or Stay Away...Please


  In a world filled with negativity, it is very hard to stay positive. To be the light that civility expert Dr. Lew Bayer says we should be. She has always been one to me so I try Lew. But it seems like a difference of opinion is now negative. I'm not sure when that happened but I wish it would stop immediately.

  If I disagree with you on politics, hair color, religion, fashion or where the best shawarma can be found...that is not a personal attack. It doesn't mean you aren't intelligent or able to make good choices. Just a difference of opinion. You do not have to go on the offensive and attack me. Or try to belittle me in front of co-workers or friends. That makes you look small not me.

  In a professional environment, people need to be even more aware of their responses. After all when you are being paid to do a job part of it is your experience and ideas. Those are expected to be shared, reviewed and learned from. Confronting a co-worker, over an opinion, is not only unprofessional but will create more problems than it will ever solve. Ask anyone who has done it.

  But when it comes to friends the stakes are higher still. You can lose a long-term friendship with one argument. Especially when it is on a topic you both feel strongly about. I have some friends who I can never talk politics, religion or parenting with. They are adamant their opinion is right and the conversation escalates to a level I find at times both ridiculous and unforgivable. So I choose not to engage in any topic I know will bring out this side of them. I pick our friendship over everything else. It's not always easy but I do.

  Be the best person you can be. Be kind. Be polite. Be civil. If you can't then please...be far away from me.

  Ang
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...