Tuesday 8 May 2018

White Privilege Is Racism


  I must admit I'm feeling a little down this morning.  A hockey hangover so to speak. My team, the Pittsburgh Penguins, were eliminated last night. And to make matters worse, it was in overtime so I was late going to bed and sad so I didn't go right to sleep. I'm paying for it this morning. But that's not what I'm talking about today...I'll need a few days to get over the loss first.

  Yesterday was Alex's birthday and as is our tradition, he picked where he wanted to eat dinner. Of course, he picked a Chinese food buffet. Here's where the story gets interestingly weird. 

  The restaurant wasn't busy. We are enjoying our general tao when two 20ish black men are seated at the table beside us. Having been in the service industry for years, I can tell when a table is going to be a problem. These guys were not. They were respectful and polite. The only strange thing they did was ask for a menu....who goes to a buffet and orders off the menu?? 

  Two waiters, the only ones for the entire restaurant, come to their table. As one young man asks his questions, the other goes up to the buffet. One waiter follows him. Watching what he is doing. Staying just far enough behind not to be blatantly following him. Meanwhile, the waiter is explaining the buffet process to the man at the table. 

  The second young man comes back and sits. They are both going to have the buffet it seems as the second man leaves. Again followed not so discreetly by the same waiter. During this same time frame several tables were seated. All white. None got this treatment. We didn't. In fact, we were waiting for more drinks while the "special" treatment was being given at the table next door. 

  Were they aware they were getting special attention? Of course they were. How can I be so sure? Well one asked if they should pay in advance. I was shocked at that comment. It would never occur to me to prepay in a sit-down restaurant. A busy bar perhaps but even that would be pay as you go. 

  These two black men's lives are different than mine. And much different than my two sons. They are looked at and treated differently. Based solely on their skin color. Nothing about their outward appearance or manner would have resulted in this treatment. Nothing. There was a table of two white men who, based on outward appearance alone, would be more of a risk of nonpayment than these two.

  White privilege exists. We can't pretend that it doesn't. It can easily be called by it's real name...racism. We, white people, need to see it and call it what it is. And most importantly, not take part in it. I don't know how to make it go away but I know we must acknowledge it when we see it.

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...