Thursday 17 September 2015

Braces :(

   You know how sometimes you think you are a responsible adult. Got the wills made up. Saving for my kids education. Saving enough for retirement so that dog food isn't on the menu in our old age. Got enough life and medical insurance. I'm doing ok. In fact better than ok. I'm the poster child for having your act together in planning for the future. Then you hear those four words that shake you to your financial soul....your child needs braces!!!

  As I stated earlier I have great insurance. There has never been anything done to my kids mouths that hasn't been covered 90%. So when I sit down in front of the receptionist I'm not overly concerned about the cost. I'm covered. I am however curious so I ask the average cost to which she frowns before replying $6,000. In my head I quickly do the math...10% is roughly six hundred dollars. What are people complaining about who have coverage? That's nothing. You can barely buy a Michael Kors purse for that. But wait she wasn't finished.

  It seems that most insurance companies, including ours, will pay out to a maximum of $2500! Seriously? Not even half? How can this possibly be true? Well it is true and while our dentist will arrange an installment plan to cover the rest, if our child is "average" we are on the hook for close to four thousand dollars!!

  Don't get me wrong no matter how much is our responsibility we will cover it. A healthy smile is worth it but it sure looks like the insurance company is making out quite nicely. 

  I guess the thoughts of a spring vacation are just that...thoughts.

Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...