Monday 19 March 2018

We Made It


 We lived through March break!! There were times I didn't think it was going to happen without handcuffs and bail money but we made it. After spending nine straight days together, my kids like each other even less than they did before. And while we may love them to death, when they fight continually it is difficult not to want to send them away....for a little while anyway.

  Please do not pretend you like your kids all the time. They do things that drive you insane. By some super natural power they know every button and how to press it for the maximum effect. From birth. Those of you who say otherwise are either medicated or in denial. Probably both.

  All my friends and family who's kids have grown up and moved out remember their children as perfect. They never fought. Never talked back. Always cleaned up after themselves. Got perfect grades. Never asked for anything. And never, ever fought with them or their siblings. Perfect little angels. Except for Janet who is much more realistic about the childhood years of her three kids. Maybe that's why I love her so much.

  Social media is filled with pictures and commentary about how wonderful, kind and caring children are. And they are. But not all the time. Sometimes they are little shits...pardon the expression but it fits perfectly. We tend to show the world only the perfection of our lives when the reality is messy and not at all pretty.

  Today I celebrate the beginning of school and the quiet that comes with it for seven hours during the day. Cause look out when 2:39 rolls around and the chaos starts all over again.

  Before anyone contradicts me, or calls me a mean parent or says I shouldn't have had children....don't bother. I love my kids more than life. But I'm nothing if not realistic about their virtues and their failings. 

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...