Thursday 8 March 2018

Women's Day


  Today we herald the success and strength of women throughout the world. We are serenaded with our achievements and our contribution to society. I for one do not want an International Women's Day. I want to be valued 365 days of the year. And here's how I what I want that to look like.

  I want equal pay and benefits for the same job. If two positions are open at a company I want to make the exact same salary as my male counterpart. I don't want it legislated, I want it to be done because it's the right thing to do. And I want it in every profession across the board, whether you are a police officer, teacher or cashier at Walmart. 

  I want to be respected whether I'm a size 2 or 20. Blond or brunette. Cover of vogue pretty or pretty ugly. Whether I'm wearing haute couture or thrift store bargains. Treat me like you want to be treated. With kindness, respect and dignity.

  I want to be free to wear whatever I want, when ever I want, without someone drooling over me or making comments. To be safe walking alone at night. Or in an elevator or car park after work. To know my boss or coworker won't make inappropriate comments about my body or sexuality. Decency and civility is all I ask for.

  I want my opinions to be heard. My thoughts on politics and world affairs are important. Don't assume I know nothing about basketball or hockey or the crisis in Syria. Listen to what I have to say instead of brushing me aside. Don't label me a bitch because I don't agree with you and dare to say it out loud. Hear me when I speak no matter the topic. You might just learn something.

  I want others to stand up for all that I've listed above. Especially men. I cannot fight this alone. I will need you to pave just as many roads and right as many wrongs as I do. Being a feminist isn't a bad word. Embrace it for what it really is....true equality.

  Those are the things I want. At least some of them. The list is very long and always changing. But it's a start. 

  Happy Women's Day! Maybe soon we won't need one.

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...