Wednesday 6 July 2016

Small Town Pleasures


  All my adult life I have lived in a city. I enjoy the hustle and bustle of daily life. The ability to do most things at any hour of the day or night is very nice. In fact it's a dream of mine to live right downtown. With kids it's not very realistic but it's on our must do list.

  For the next few days though we are hanging out in a small town. And I have to admit there are some advantages I wasn't really aware of. Or if I was, I forgot about. We did live here for six months about eight years ago. Not long enough to have an opinion on the place but long enough to have missed my amenities.

  First off the price of houses is beyond compare. New homes at prices one income could afford. Older homes that are almost cheap. Of course there aren't as many job opportunities but even two lower income earners could own a beautiful home.

   We went for dinner...a chinese buffet. Now the last time we went to this type of restaurant it was for lunch and the cost was just under $90. No drinks. Alcoholic or otherwise. Very, very pricey. Tonight....$39 taxes in! And the food was great! Not the best I've ever had but better than my last outing...by far.

  And the traffic. There is none! Even the traffic lights are synced. You can go blocks without stopping. It's great! We went from one end of town to the other in under 15 minutes. Sometimes at home I can't turn left through several green lights. It's refreshing.

  While I may enjoy the peace and quiet I'm aware that if I want a pizza it better be before eleven and there isn't a shawarma place to be found. There are only two groceries and no specialty stores. FYI...they are already closed. I'm pretty sure there isn't Uber here either.

  I guess that means I won't be moving any time soon. But it sure is nice to visit.

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...