Monday 23 January 2017

Perspective Yet Again


  This morning I was ready to start a rant about Kelly Ann Conway and how she is the most irritating person on the planet at the moment. I barely got two sentences down when the phone rang informing me one of the kids had forgotten something and could I possibly drop it off. 

  One of the perks, or curses, of being a stay-at-home parent is that you can be there when your child needs something. But today it's cold and I was not showered and still in my pajamas. The last thing I wanted to do was go to school but that's exactly what I did. 

  When I arrived there was a man and woman calmly trying to convince their son to come with them. He was lying on the floor inconsolable. Obviously the school had called them to come. It was an awful situation so early in the day.

  The parents looked tired. And sad. As if the weight of the world was on their shoulders. I could tell that this wasn't a one-off. This was their reality probably on a near daily basis. I so hope I am jumping to conclusions. 

  I handed off the forgotten shoes and headed discreetly out the door and back to my car. When I closed the door, I looked quickly in the mirror and thought I am the most ridiculous person at this moment. Complaining because my child can't remember his shoes. As if it was the worst thing ever.

  My child is healthy. He has no behavioral issues. The school never calls me because he is out of control. Yes he is forgetful, lippy and fights constantly with us and his brother. Those are all normal behaviors for a child his age. My reality is very different, and much easier, than those parents.

  I constantly tell myself about perspective. We all need it. And I got a huge dose of it this morning!

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...