Wednesday 15 February 2017

Reality Check


  I was watching the Today show this morning....James Spader, my favorite, was on. But before then I watched an interview with Kate Upton. She is on the cover of Sports Illustrated for the third time and is promoting the issue.

  One thing she said confused me. She said she loved, over the years, looking at the strong women who have been in this particular issue. Strong women? Because they are in a swimsuit? What? Does posing in a bikini, or less, show the world you are strong? If that's the case the Kardashian's are stronger than all of us! Put together!

  I'm not saying that previous models weren't strong. I think all women are strong in their own way. But posing in a swimsuit doesn't necessarily show you are strong. I've seen photo spreads of women, and men for that matter, that have survived war and disease. They proudly show their scars, missing limbs and battle wounds. Those show strength both of character and will.

  Let's face it....no man or woman is buying this issue because Kate is strong. Nope they are buying it because she is in, and out, of swimsuits. Period. Playboy magazine famously announced "no more nudes". Guess what? They just announced nudes are back! Why? Because sales went down. Skin sells. Clothes...not so much.

  Ms. Upton is an adult who makes her own decisions. She chose to do this for her own personal reasons based mostly on exposure I suppose. Pardon the pun. Not intentional. Obviously as a model her looks are her biggest assets and a girl has to earn a living. 

  But basing strength on a photo of someone in a swimsuit is crazy to me.

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...