Tuesday 7 February 2017

Vacation Mistakes


  One of my biggest beefs with politicians is their inability to say they made a mistake. We all say or do things, that in hindsight, we probably shouldn't have. But as adults, we accept blame, apologize and try to do better in the future. Politicians don't seem to live by the same rules as you and I.

  For example Rona Ambrose, the interim Conservative Party leader. After calling the PM on the carpet for taking a private helicopter, to a private island for vacation we find out she was on a yacht in the Caribbean at the same time. The statement she made was "All he had to say was no, but he couldn't resist the billionaire lifestyle."  I believe the phrase is pot meet kettle.

  Does Justin Trudeau have friends who are super rich? Of course he does. He comes from a wealthy background. Does that mean he is used to travelling the way the rest of us dream about as we struggle with enough leg room in coach? Of course it does. Was this a mistake as the Prime Minister? Yes it was.  Will he make this same mistake again? Let's hope not.

  Obviously Ms. Ambrose has some rich friends too. I've never cruised the Caribbean on a yacht. Nor have any of my friends invited me to. She was open about her vacation plans with the ethics committee she's said. Good for you. But making the lifestyle comment takes away all of your credibility. Every bit of it. You look jealous that you had to charter a plane. Hello....most Canadians don't charter a plane with their friends either!

  I don't expect politicians to be perfect. Far from it. But I want them to be decent human beings who don't use other people's mistakes or mis-steps to make themselves look better. That is childish and petty. 

  My biggest complaint about both of these vacations? Why wasn't I invited?

  Next time!

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...