Thursday 4 May 2017

The Caravan Blues


  We have been the proud owners of a Dodge Caravan for over ten years now. It has never let us down on long road trips. It's done the trip to Florida twice and except for a little black smoke, got us there, and back, safe and sound. A 5000 km trip to Alberta was uneventful....ok the mirror flew off in the mountains but hey that stuff happens! I'm not so sure though that it's going to survive it's next hurtle.

  Every year all vehicles must be registered. And if your car is over a certain age it needs an emission test before the province says it's ok to drive it. The van needed some work last year before they passed it. To the tune of $700. This year I'm not sure there is enough money to get it to pass. John swears it can be done....I think he is hoping for a "Hail Mary" moment.

  While the van has had it's fair share of work over the years, we've been able to do most of it. Anything emissions related must be done by the professionals. At least the expensive parts of it. Now comes the hard decision...when is enough enough. John is having a harder time of that than I am.

  It would be very hard going back to being a one car family. We did it for a few years when Alex was a baby. Both John and I like coming and going when ever we like. But my car isn't paid for yet and we definitely don't want two car payments!

  Pass or fail. Keep or scrap heap. The van will go down as the most fuel efficient, reliable vehicle we have ever owned. Fingers crossed it will be around for a at least a few more years.

  It's not like I'd teach Alex to drive in my car!

  Ang
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...