Wednesday 24 May 2017

Sportsmanship


  Last night the whole family went to a hockey game. Riley, who plays, could barely contain himself. The game was exciting and even though my team lost...we are Pittsburgh Penguin fans which is tough when they are playing Ottawa.....it was a great night. Til we got outside and started walking through the parking lot.

  I was embarrassed by the behavior of too many Ottawa residents who were trying to incite fighting with Pens fans on their walk to their cars. The comments were reprehensible. Meant to start fist fights not celebrate the victory. "Fans" beating on the windows of cars where the occupants had opposing jerseys. Pounding on their hoods. 

  But one act really made me angry. Two rather large Pittsburg fans were in front of us walking to their car. Saying nothing to anyone. Checking their phones. A group of maybe six Ottawa supporters started yelling at them and saying the vilest things imaginable to them. Vulgar. Crude. I can't even say the words here. And the body actions. You can figure out quite easily what was said and done.

  The two men stopped. They went back and spoke to the idiots screaming abuse at them.  Had they wanted to I'm positive they could have hurt all six of them. Without breaking a sweat. However, they laughed and said they would let Thursday night's game speak for them. And then walked on. Very adult behavior I thought. Not sure I would, or could, have been so grown up about it.

  This is not sports. This is not supporting your team. This isn't pride or exuberance over a win. This was mean and rude to a degree that has no place in sports ever. So while we waited to get out of the parking lot I tried to explain to Riley, who was quite upset about the behavior, why some people do it.

  It would be easy to blame it on alcohol but I'm not sure these men were even drinking. They certainly didn't look drunk or sound it either. Besides drink sometimes makes people's "real" selves come out. The truth is I don't know why. How can someone's idea of celebration be to insult and incite anger? What does that say about you? 

  I also don't know why the man sitting beside me kept hollering at the Ottawa players to hit Sidney Crosby in the head and take him out permanently. Crosby has a history of concussions and a hit to the head could end his career not to mention change his life forever. He continually said this with, and I know it's a strange word to use but, glee. As if he wanted to see him severely hurt. That's not sportsmanship. That's nastiness. And the type of person who you don't want to be around.

  It was quite embarrassing to me to be from Ottawa last night. While as a city our team won the game, we definitely didn't leave a good impression on those who came from away. 

  Something I thought we always did.

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...