Wednesday 2 December 2015

Charity is Hard

  

  Another day another problem trying to help someone out. It shouldn't be this hard to give something away. Especially a big ticket item.

  John has sleep apnea. Which means he stops breathing when he sleeps. This is a very common condition and while it has many health ramifications there is a very simple treatment. But not cheap.

  A CPAP machine, don't ask me what that stands for, programmed just for you will let you get a full, well rested nights sleep. And of course you will continue to breathe. But the machine is expensive. This new one was almost $1300.00! Yes you read that right. One thousand three hundred dollars.

  We have insurance so whatever wasn't covered by the province was paid for by our company. In total, I think we might have paid fifty dollars. Which would be a deductible I guess. But without private insurance you are looking at a lot of money. Ontario pays a portion but not every province does.

  In the spring John qualified for a new machine. Even though there was nothing wrong with the old one. Truthfully he wanted a smaller version that is easier for travel. But now we have two machines.

  It's been sitting in the closet now for about six months collecting dust. So today I decided to find a new owner. All it needs is a new mask and hose and the computer card reprogrammed with your own particular information. The programming would be free from the Sleep Clinic but the hose and mask would cost around $150.  Not bad if you got the machine for free.

  But giving it away is becoming a challenge. I went to a nursing home. They said no thank you based on sanitary conditions. Doesn't make sense to me because if you disinfected the outside and used a new mask its perfectly sanitized. But I guess they have their rules. Funny enough though, Ontario provincial health care doesn't cover any of the cost for this machine and neither does the nursing home.

  I tried the Community Resource Center. They had no clue who could take it. Or even what it was at first. Surely there must be a family of lesser means out there with sleep apnea. This isn't a rich persons disease.

  My last hope was the church. People share their troubles at church. They will get back to me once they ask around. I'm hoping they can find someone. I really don't want to through it out.

  I can't imagine putting something that expensive in the recycling bin. No way.

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...