Tuesday 8 December 2015

Holiday Movies



  Do you say Merry Christmas? Happy Hanukkah? Happy Holidays? Happy...fill in the blank? Does it matter? Really?

  This morning again I saw several things on social media and a few emails talking about keeping Christ in Christmas. One actually said "I'm saying Merry Christmas and if you don't like that you can kiss my ass and go back to where you came from!" Can you imagine?! No one, no one, would say that to a persons face. But on-line they will share the crap out of it.

  But that's not what I wanted to talk about today. It just irritates me.

  I did want to talk about the slew of classic holiday movies on tv right now. Yup I said holiday. On purpose too. On the weekend we watched It's A Wonderful Life. Fantastic movie that never gets old...even though it's in black and white. Both of my kids watched it with us, as they do every year. And yes when they hear a bell ring they do say "an angel gets it's wings".

  We've seen a Charlie Brown Christmas, which is 50 years old! It's older than I am and it just wouldn't be Christmas without watching it at least once. Do you think Charles Schultz had any idea we would be watching it our entire lives? I hope so.

  My personal favorites are any, and all, A Christmas Carol. I love them all. I watch the black and white version with Alistair Simms. The one with the Muppets. Mickey Mouse's version. Bill Murray as Scrooge. You name it I watch it. In fact for the last 25 years or so I've watched it late Christmas Eve. A great tradition.

  In recent years we've gotten Prep and Landing. Followed by Naughty vs. Nice. Lanny and Wayne are super cute. Not only for kids but us big kids too. Thrasher is becoming the coolest reindeer ever thanks to these two shows.

  Sometime this week, stop and out your feet up. Gather your family on the sofa. Throw on a blanket. Turn on a Christmas movie. Sit quietly with your family for thirty minutes or an hour. I guarantee it will be remembered long after that gift has been opened and the toy broken.

  Make "family time" the most important part of whatever holiday you celebrate. Me....I'm going to celebrate them all.

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...