Thursday 8 September 2016

"Canadian" Values?


  Right now, on the federal level, the Conservative Party has an interim leader. They are gearing up for a leadership convention some time in the not too distant future. And while I'm sure there will be lots of folks throwing their hats in the ring I'm a little concerned about one of them....ok more than one but I'm going to focus on just this one today. Her name is Kellie Leitch.

  To start with she is a surgeon. Awesome. Love to see smart women in politics no matter what party they represent. Among other things, Dr. Leitch was Vice President of CANFAR (AIDS research) and has a breast cancer golf tournament every year. All wonderful, amazing things.

  One paper she is smart, talented, philanthropic and well received. Well not all paper. See she put out a survey of sorts over the summer asking whether the Canadian government should " screen potential immigrants for anti-Canadian values". What does that mean??

  As a Canadian my "values" might not be the same as other Canadians. I know many folks born and raised here who are extremely intolerant of other religions and religion in general. While I embrace everyone's right to believe in whatever they so choose.

  Many people in this great country are anti-abortion. I am pro-choice. Most Canadians are hard working, honest people but we have more than our fair share of laziness and thieves. Same sex marriage still bugs a lot of people. As long as you don't ask me to pay for your wedding, no matter your orientation, not my business.

  Most people would say a love of hockey, maple syrup and politeness are Canadian values. Who am I to say they are wrong? Do you need to say "eh" or "aboat"....I know it's spelled wrong but it's so you get the pronunciation right.

  Immigration, in this age of fear, is a hot button topic. People are scared that terrorists are entering this country on a daily basis. I don't think that is the truth. And when I see children dying in refugee camps, freezing in the cold and being placed in boats by parents who know their chances of survival are small, I'm not quite sure I care so much if the vetting process is flawed or not.
  
  Take for example immigrants from Syria. If that was me and my country was being bombed, my kids lives threatened, family members killed, my home destroyed....I would win an Academy Award for best actress with the lies I would happily tell to come here.

  But when a government person, who wants to ultimately run the country, asks a loaded question about immigrants it should make us all stop. Putting it under the umbrella of National Security is under-handed and sneaky.

  Two values Canadians aren't known for.

  Ang

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...