Wednesday 14 September 2016

Lessons


  Alex forgot his lunch today. I'm tempted to let him go hungry. I read an article a few weeks back that said we shouldn't bring lunches, forgotten homework or projects to school for our kids. Let them suffer the consequences of their disorganization and they will learn from it. Good in theory I suppose.

  John forgot his lunch a few times. He didn't go hungry all day. Out came his wallet and he bought something to hold him over. Should I have put a freeze on his bank and credit cards to teach him a lesson? He's pretty easy going but I'm sure that wouldn't have gone over well!

  Last year Alex got his one and only detention for not returning a test that a teacher asked to have signed. He had taken the paper home, I had reviewed and signed it and I watched him put it in his backpack. Over the next 45 minutes, it was the first class of the day, it disappeared. Never to be seen again....until he cleaned out his locker at the end of the school year. This year the second day I had to drive him to school to get a paper signed he had "misplaced". Lesson learned? Nope.

  Since he's gotten a phone I've been called, texted and emailed at least once a week for something left somewhere. Homework, gym clothes, gloves and lunches. Sometimes even the phone! 

  Does this make him more disorganized than other kids his age? I don't think so. Teenagers have a lot on their plate. School, friends, parents, homework....all stressful. Add hormones to that and the results are sometimes not very pretty. 

  I think I would be worried more if he was focused and organized....with us as parents that would definitely mean he was switched at birth!

  Ang

***I brought him his lunch***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...