Thursday 29 September 2016

I Don't Understand


  Women baffle me.  I believe the huge majority of us are the same. We want the same things. Happiness. Good health for ourselves and family. Respect. Equality. Financial security. You know....the basics.

  Lately I'm starting to question that. At least about some women in the United States. I'm confused about your support for Donald Trump. Truly. He is an unapologetic misogynist. All his other political beliefs aside, this seems like the ultimate reason not to support him. But they are. Not in the numbers he would like you to believe but enough.

  Let's pretend you are at a dinner party. The man across the table from you calls a woman he disagrees with a fat pig. Or calls the hostess Miss Housekeeping because she is Latino. Would you let that pass? Of course not. You would instantly dislike him and thank your lucky stars he has no daily effect on your life.

  Perhaps it's Thanksgiving dinner and your Uncle Bob is at the end of the table talking about how you are a fool for staying with your husband after he had an affair, when he, himself, has had several. Or about how his daughter has a great body and if he wasn't her father well...Women everywhere would be throwing a turkey leg across the table at him!

  But he isn't a stranger or your crazy old uncle. He's on tv. He's famous. And that seems to mean we forgive a lot. That's what I don't get. Does it give him a free pass to be degrading? Or rude? Not to mention just plain mean?

  I can't think of one woman who would be okay with this man's attitude and behavior towards women who challenge him. Or the ones who don't. Not one. 
  
  Maybe we aren't as alike as I think.

  Ang

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...