Friday 14 October 2016

It Costs How Much????


  This fall Riley started playing hockey. As "Canada's game" many kids play. It consumes any free time we might possibly have. It is every weekend and at least one night during the week. I was unaware of the time commitment. Oh I knew it would take some time but this is craziness. And before all you hockey parents condemn me...don't waste your limited time.

  But this is not about time. Or the driving. Fundraising. Relentless emails. Nope it's about the cost of hockey. Not from my mouth but from arguably the greatest hockey player of all time #99 Wayne Gretzky.  

  He very honestly says his Dad borrowed money to buy him skates or a stick. And questions whether he would even be able to afford to play now. I personally am blown away at the amount of money we have spent in the past 30 days alone. We are sitting at $650.00...not including equipment!

  Our child is lucky...we can afford it. Many families, who's kids really want to play, simply can't come up with that much money. And what if you have two or even three kids? How do you decide who plays and who doesn't? And is there any money left for activities for the other kids? Or even time? It is very much an elitist sport.

  After listening to the interview I wondered to myself how many "Great Ones" never got the chance to play based on finances? How many "Super Mario's" never stepped on the ice because their parents chose groceries over hockey dues? How many "___ the Kid" there could have been had their folks been in a higher tax bracket? I guess we will never know.

  For now I will be thankful that our children have all the opportunities available. And feel disappointed for those who don't. 

  Ang

***For you non-hockey fans Wayne Gretzky was called "the Great One". Mario Lemieux was "Super Mario". And Sydney Crosby was "Sid the Kid"....at 29 I think it's time they stopped using that ;)***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...