Tuesday 11 October 2016

National Coming Out Day


 October 11 is National Coming Out Day in the U.S......it's also International Day of the Girl but that's for another day. Coming Out day is to try and make things easier for kids, adults and anyone needing extra support to have an open and honest dialogue with their loved ones. That's a simplified version but you get the general idea.

  I thought this would be the perfect day to tell you about a woman I know. In the past year her daughter has told her that basically she was born in the wrong body. Again a simplified explanation. I'm not giving specific details because the story is his to tell not mine.

  But the story I am going to tell you about is the unconditional love of a mother for her child. A mother who has been nothing but supportive. Loving. Fierce in his corner. Without hesitation, the parent she needed to be.

  This woman put her child's happiness, well being and truth before her own. She has been open and honest to her friends and family. While I'm sure every response hasn't been positive, she has bypassed the haters. Her love for her child has made that easy I'm sure.

  She is an example to all parents, not just the ones with transgender kids. All parents should look at her and say that's the parent I need, and want, to be. Every child deserves that. 

  The fact that her son came to her and had, what I would imagine to be, one of THE most difficult conversations of his young life is proof of great parenting. Love and support is the most important thing for good parenting.

  And my friend could teach a class!

  Ang

1 comment:

  1. The love a parent has for their child holds no boundaries or limits, it is a very powerful and unique love, and I know this for a fact. When we have a child, there is no indexed book where a parent can go flip to find the answers to all of the questions or the different scenarios a parent is sometimes faced with; for if such a book existed, trust me, it would be priceless. So, when a parent is faced with the task to love and support their transgendered child, you do exactly that. You dig deep and muster up all of the love and support you can find and you spread this love and support far and wide, to all corners of the earth. This is the same child, the one you gave birth to, but a child who feels tortuously trapped and confined in the wrong body. Loving and supporting your transgendered child, putting their happiness before your own is imperative. The result is a much happier and mentally content child who feels, embraced by love and support and, the feeling of empowerment and the smile on your child’s face speaks volumes in the most silent of times. That alone gives a parent so much peace, it gives me peace and that’s what great parenting is all about. I’m living proof. I gave birth to a daughter, who is transitioning into my son. I will be there every step of the way, being the best parent I can be.

    ReplyDelete

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...