Tuesday 7 June 2016

Oh Canada


  Here is a list of things that need some readjusting/help/fine tuning here in Canada. Healthcare, education, Veteran's Affairs, criminal justice system, high taxes, childhood poverty, long term disability......the list goes on and on. While I will always say that I live in the best country in the world, we have our fair share of problems in need of a fix. However right now the issue front and center involves none of the above. 

  Someone has decided Oh Canada, our national anthem, needs to be changed. To be more inclusive. Change "in all thy sons command" to "in all of us command". A small change really. Two words taken out and replaced by two more. Not harder to sing and certainly not a big deal song wise. 

  However...it's our national anthem. Ours. Mine and the entire 36 million or so people of this great nation. And it was brought up after the election. So my MP has no idea what his constituents feel on the matter. He can, and will, vote based solely on his own opinion and with maybe a little input from the few voters who will send an email. This could have been a separate vote during the election last fall. Then the people could have decided.

  The MP who decided women needed to be represented is Mauril Belanger. A man. Did he ask any women if they felt left out? And if he did...how many? From where? What age group? I certainly wasn't asked. No woman has ever mentioned to me that they were asked about this issue or ever said they felt neglected for that matter. I'm not sure but I don't recall the Canadian Women's hockey team being upset when they won a gold medal and the anthem was played. If memory serves me right they sang. Loud. Clear. And proud.

  I'm all for political correctness. But I do think there can be too much of it. Inclusiveness is important in daily life. Fight for the changes that really matter.

  When everything is made an issue we won't know when a real one comes along.

  Ang

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...