Monday 7 November 2016

Disrespectful?


  I told myself I wouldn't do it. That this year I would let the "disrespectful" comments go in one ear and out the other. I told myself that everyone has a right to their own opinion no matter how much I disagree with them. Still taking all of that into account..... here I go.

  Remembrance Day is November 11. This Friday. A day when we as a nation, show our respect for those who never came home from war, those who did and those who serve our country today. It is a privilege and an honor to show these brave men and women our thanks for their sacrifices. Sadly every year the number of people who show up at these services are less and less.

  Over the past few years, in the news, on social media and in public places, people are talking about how disrespectful it is to put up Christmas decorations before Friday. Perhaps if it was Veterans or serving military members who were saying this I would be more inclined to agree. They are not. It's people who have never served who seem to have the biggest problems with it.

  My husband was gone to Afghanistan over Christmas in 2001. He left with no return date. No idea what was in store for him. His country said this was where he needed to be so that's where he was going. The last thing he was made to do before leaving was to up-date his will. That is an eye opener let me tell you.

  Through out the years he has missed birthdays, weddings, funerals, anniversaries, holidays and more family time than I care to remember. He has been held at gunpoint and helped take plane wreckage out of the ocean. He has foot, back, knee and hearing problems due 100% to his job. 

  One would think after doing all of those things our government would take care of him. With out any issues or fuss. That's not the case though. We have been relatively well treated by Veteran's Affairs. And when John felt he hadn't been he fought the system and always came out with the result he wanted in the first place. But he is in the minority.

  Too many Veteran's don't get the assistance they need. From healthcare and  transportation to housecleaning and yard services, some vets are not getting even the basic care they rightfully deserve. That is disrespectful. Ninety year old WW11 veterans are told to apply for programs on line. That is disrespectful. Claims being denied because of minor spelling errors. That is disrespectful. Veterans who are living in squalor. That is disrespectful.

  I can go on and on about the way our Veteran's are treated on a daily basis. But most people don't want to hear that. They want to complain about Christmas decorations. My friend Sandra just got a Christmas tree removed from a liquor store in her home town citing that it was disrespectful. While I don't agree with her on the respect factor, she does however get a pat on the back from me because she volunteers with a PTSD support group. She has written her MP's and complained about the treatment of veterans throughout the entire year. She is fighting the battle on many fronts. And for that I applaud her.

  Maybe if everyone who is worried about decorations followed her lead we could force our government to make the sweeping changes needed so that every veteran is treated with dignity and respect 365 days of the year.

  Not just on November 11.

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...