Saturday 24 October 2015

Money


  No matter how much money I have it's never going to be enough. My kids will see to that. "Mommy can I have...?" "Mommy I need..." It never ends. Ever. I may have to get a paying job soon. Hugs just aren't buying the things we can't seem to live without.

  It's barely two o'clock on Saturday and already I've been bombarded by both boys to buy buy buy. A quick trip out to the farmer's market turned into...I need water, a crown, a new coloring book, stickers, a book and candy. I get home and then it's...I'm going bowling, then a sleep over, a birthday card, money for the card and treats at the alley. My head is pounding. So is my wallet.

  Kids are all the same. They want everything. Let me rephrase that, they need everything. Except what they really need. Like a winter jacket, boots and snow suit, which both need as we speak. Somehow I'm supposed to find the money for not only the necessities but the extras as well.

  We have done a relatively good job teaching the boys about money. We give them money to buy things, remind them of tax and let them decide what to spend our hard earned cash on. When the money is gone it's gone. They must decide the difference between a "want" and a "need". Riley decides he doesn't need much. Alex decides he needs everything. Either way they make their own choices and live with the consequences. Lots of buyers remorse in our house.

  Unlike some other parents, we say no to things more often than yes. They don't do without but they definitely aren't spoiled. Instead we try to spend time, not money, with them. It's all about balance...most of the time.

  Sometimes John and I sit back and reminisce about the good old days....when we used to have money. And wonder if those days will ever return. With only sixteen more years til they both finish university we now wonder if we will live to see our bank account increase....yeah probably not.

  Ang

  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...