Thursday 22 October 2015

Secrets and Surprises



  As a rule my family does not have "secrets". We have surprises or things we aren't able to talk about at the moment. I saw a show once that said pedophiles tell their victims that what is taking place is "a secret". So immediately I decided there was none of that in this house. I went so far as to tell the kids that if someone said to them "it's a secret" to come and tell us asap. Parental paranoia I know but....

  We have surprised the boys many times. Trips. Change of plans. Visitors. All wonderful. All well received. As they get older it is harder to do....they have excellent hearing, especially from the top of the stairs, when they are supposed to be asleep. I think they may have reached the age where they now see through us. I hope I'm wrong.

  Today we have a surprise for them....I won't say what it is because Alex thinks it's very funny that his mother has a blog and tends to read it when he should be studying. They both know something is up but haven't figured out exactly what. For the past three days I've been getting the strangest of questions. And giving the strangest of answers.

  Why are you cleaning? My favorite question by far. But it's true we clean different if someone is coming to stay or even for dinner. You all know what I'm talking about. Normal people don't clean out the medicine cabinet if there isn't a chance someone else might be peeking inside.

  How come there is no food? Honestly I get that a lot. Even when a surprise vacation isn't planned. No matter how much food I buy it disappears after forty eight hours. Always.

  Why is there an email from...? My email comes up on two phones, an iPad and the laptop. There is no privacy of information when it comes to email. Many sets of eyes might see it before I even know it's arrived. I'm ok with that...most of the time.

  If I was to guess, I would say Riley has asked me at least one hundred things the "surprise" could be. Poor kid wants to know badly. I told him it might be a puppy, a new car or a Disney cruise. FYI it's none of the above. Although they all sound nice.

  This afternoon is the big reveal. I know they will be so happy and excited. All the clues of the past week will come together. They won't mind all the little white lies I've told or the out right ones either. It will all be forgiven and forgotten.

  In all this I forgot about John. I'm not sure I told him!

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...