Sunday 18 October 2015

Old Movies



  This weekend was cold. Very cold. We even saw a bit of the white stuff, both yesterday and today. With the house toasty warm, snuggled under a blanket, I did something I don't normally do....watched movies. 

  I'm a Netflix junkie. I'll admit to that. Binge watching is something we enjoy on those long winter evenings. But movies have always been John's thing. I don't even go to the theater because 99% of the time I fall asleep. No matter how good the movie is or who is starring in it, I tend to catch a few zzzz's. Usually with a few snores too.

  At home I can rewind, start over or press pause when I feel like it. Bathroom breaks and phone calls are easy. Not to mention that snacks are much cheaper and healthier too!

  Saturday I watched Imitation Game...twice. I seem to have nodded off for about an hour somewhere around the middle. This movie, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley, was based on the true life story of mathematician genius Alan Turing. He was the man who built a machine that broke the Enigma code in World War 2. One of the first computers. Fabulous movie. 

  He also happened to be gay...a crime in England in the 1940's and 50's when this was playing out. It's only a minor part in the film but I thought it was interesting that they used hormone therapy, chemical castration, to "cure" him. He committed suicide in 1954 at the young age of 41. Imagine what that brain could have conceived had he lived another forty years. Queen Elizabeth granted a Royal Pardon in 2013....it seems odd to have taken so long considering what he did for the war effort. Better late than never I suppose.

  A Time To Kill was my Sunday morning selection. Can you believe it's 21 years old? Still as good today as it was waaaay back when. Just like the first time, I was so impressed by Sam Jackson. He is always spot on. Always. The scene where he goes to the hospital room of the deputy he shot, is so real. You can see the remorse on his face. Donald Sutherland is the best drunk ever and I love Charles Dutton in anything. He never disappoints.

  But the best part of the entire film is when Jake, Matthew McConaughey, gives his closing remarks to the jury. Asking them to close their eyes. Repeating the entire beating, rape and attempted hanging of poor ten year old Tanya. Then "the" line of the movie..." no imagine she's black". Cold chills. Tears.

  It's hard to believe that sort of stuff happened. The Klan...seriously? People getting away with crimes because they were white and their victims black. Sadly it wasn't that long ago that was reality. Hell in some places it's still going on today I'm sure. We've come a long way but there is still a long way to go.

  With only one child this weekend we were also able to catch up on the Blacklist...my favorite show...I love me some Spader. I'm sure over the next five months of cold, snowy evenings, I'll be able to watch a few more films. I like the idea of something old and something new. 

  Soon I'll have my pick of Christmas movies....
  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...