Sunday 24 January 2016

Diversity



 This is my 100th blog entry!! I can't believe it. Again John was right I do have a lot of things to say. And I plan to keep on saying them. Fingers crossed you will keep on reading them.

  I've been seeing a lot written about the lack of diversity at the Oscars. Especially this year. Now apparently the Academy wants to change the rules some how to be more diverse. Perhaps the issue isn't that the nominations aren't diverse enough but that movies aren't. Does Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper need to star in every movie?

  When Denzel Washington received his Best Actor award he was only the second African American to win the prize. Of course the fabulous Sidney Poitier was the first, 47 years before. He had been overlooked before and his body of work definitely deserved to be awarded. I love Denzel but Training Day? Definitely not his best movie. Malcolm X for sure. Or The Hurricane absolutely. But Training Day? Really?

  That same year Halle Berry won Best Actress for her role in Monster's Ball. She was the first African American woman to do so. Considering the Oscars began in 1929 that's quite a dry spell. It's hard to believe not one actress of color before her deserved the award. Had they never seen What's Love Got To Do With It? Or The Color Purple? Seriously.

  One thing I am interested in is this call to boycott the show, started by Jada Pinkett Smith. Who will show up? Will it affect the careers of the people who don't show? Or will it finally get the industry to open their minds and eyes. I heard someone on a talk show say that she seemed to be reacting to the news that her husband, Will Smith, wasn't nominated. Maybe. Who knows.

  For sure the host of the awards will not let this topic go untouched. Chris Rock is by far one of the funniest people on the planet. And one of the smartest comedians you will ever listen to. He can take a "hot topic" and make it funny while showing you how wrong you are about it. That's a talent. I rarely watch but I will see the opening monologue for sure. 

  As someone who isn't the biggest movie watcher.....I tend to fall asleep in the theater...this will still be an interesting year at the Oscars. This is one awards show where people tend to push their politics and issues anyway. 

  This year they actually have an issue worth talking about....that doesn't involve the clothes.

  Ang

**for the record...I love Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Copper**

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...