Sunday 31 January 2016

Shhh I'm Listening


   As parents we are all aware that times can get tough. Really tough. Most of us associate those hard times with puberty. We are all wrong. I have learned the hardest part of parenting this week. They don't listen. They hear you but they don't listen. And there is nothing we can do about it.

  This past week has been a real eye opener for me. I decided to do an experiment with Alex. He had taken something home and put it in the living room on Friday. As in Friday 10 days days ago. Every day I reminded him it was there. Then asked him to put it away. Another gentle reminder it was there. Then a yell or two about said item in the room.

  Nothing. For ten days. Nothing. Every day a lesson in futility when it came to the bag. Gentle reminders became pick up the damn bag. To his credit, when I reminded/yelled he did head into the living room. Sometimes he played the piano. Others he flopped on the couch and ate. But the bag never moved.

  Today, after a night with little sleep thanks to a newly returned CPAP machine, I was done experimenting. I wanted the bag gone. I just couldn't handle it any more. When my voice got to an unnaturally high level and I had his full attention, he looked at me with those beautiful blue eyes of his and said "Sorry Mom I forgot". 

  He had heard me every time. I know he did. I guess the brain of a 12 year old doesn't, or can't, register everything. They hear what they want to hear. I better except it or it's going to be a long ten years....I'm adding Riley into the mix as well for counting purposes.

  Maybe I should get some blood pressure meds while I'm at it.

  Ang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...