Friday 29 January 2016

I Want To Ride My Bicycle


  Ahhhh Ottawa. The nation's capital. One of, if not the, prettiest cities in Canada. Home of Parliament, the Supreme Court of Canada and the Senators....both the hockey players and the ones who do next to nothing. Beautiful parks, museums and the longest outdoor skating rink in the world.  I love it.

  We are a city that gets winter. And lots of it. Right now it's snowing out. It snowed most of the day yesterday. The sidewalks and side roads are not cleared. They are drive-able and walk-able if you are careful. 

  So why do I see so many people on bicycles this morning? Zigzagging through ruts of slushy snow with no control. Going either too fast or too slow. Some out of control and just trying to stay upright. Acting neither like car or pedestrian.

  Before you give me grief about being "green"...we are not downtown. This is the suburbs. There is snow on the side streets. No plow is coming through my street and clearing it to the pavement. That will happen when it warms up in a few months. 

  Two people I saw this morning didn't drive their bikes all fall. They drove cars to work everyday. It's almost as if they are trying to prove a point in the winter. Waiting for someone to say something and have a confrontation. The bigger the storm, the farther they pedal.

  Keep your bikes in the garage. Or if you really feel the need to pedal, carry it to the bus stop and ride it where the streets are clear...downtown. For everyone's safety.

  Ang

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...