Wednesday 13 January 2016

"We"



  I just finished reading an article entitled Are We The Worst Generation of Parents Ever?. Omg it was so dead on. I know these parents they speak of. They really need to read it....now.

  One thing that rings so true is "we". Your child's team won a game. You did not. Your child got accepted into a program. You did not. I know many, many, many people, especially women, who use this term when referring to their child's accomplishments. Funny enough "we" never fail a test or loose a game. Interesting.

  Another fascinating thought was the idea of kids having to be special. As if their being alive didn't make them special. Kids don't play soccer. They must play competitive soccer. Or they are on an elite team. As if the fact that they are on a "special" team makes them better than the other kids who just play the sport. Children can't just play the piano, they must be the next Mozart.

  Parents need their children to succeed. At everything. All the time. Failure is not an option. Not even perceived failure. Our kids will have a better, happier life because we pushed them to achieve...of course they won't. But we have it in our heads they will. Not sure how it got there but most parents would swear it was the truth.

  By no means am I saying I'm parent of the year. Not even close. But I try very hard not to be a helicopter parent. Or their concierge. I love that the article used that word! But I know for a fact we could ALL use a step back where our kids are concerned.

  One final word on this subject. We are all proud of our kids. Whether they are A students or a solid C. Competitive league or bench warmer. The next Maya Angelou or Homer Simpson.

  Healthy and happy is all I ask.

  Ang 

  

  

  

  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Too Cheap To Be True Answered

 A few months ago I wrote about a Carnival cruise we had booked that was so cheap it was Too Cheap To Be True. I meant to come right home an...